What is Academy Soccer?
A Parent’s Guide to Understanding Developmental Soccer
WHAT IS ACADEMY SOCCER AT DAA?
DAA Soccer Academy is a group of 8-12yr old soccer players who desire to participate with other soccer players without following the typical team formation rules.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF ACADEMY SOCCER AT DAA?
- To provide all youth players who aspire to become a more accomplished player an avenue to test and enhance his or her skills.
- To provide all youth players an opportunity to train with experienced coaches.
- To provide all youth players an opportunity to investigate the level of play with which they are comfortable, which players they would like to play with, and for which coaches they would like to play.
** Academy play will be used as an additional league for the youth player, not to replace the team your child plays with.
HOW IS ACADEMY SOCCER DIFFERENT THAN RECREATIONAL SOCCER?
1. TEAM FORMATION
- RECREATIONAL SOCCER - formed by grouping players randomly on a team each season.
- ACADEMY - There are no teams, and there is no league play. The approach of the Academy program is a "Festival"-type training environment, where all players train together, and then participate in game play at the end of the training session. The Academy does not select or exclude players. Enrollment is open to any child that meets the age requirements, wants to learn soccer the right way and of course... and wants to have fun while they're doing it!
- RECREATIONAL SOCCER— a seasonal registration fee and uniform fee; individual player equipment.
- ACADEMY SOCCER— The Academy fees include any tournament or festival fees, skills session fees and home association player registration fees.
- RECREATIONAL SOCCER—volunteer coaches.
- ACADEMY SOCCER—licensed coaches.
4. PRACTICE LOCATIONS
- RECREATIONAL SOCCER—all DAA practices are conducted on DAA fields. Some games may be played on ‘near-by’ fields, close to and in Anne Arundel County.
- ACADEMY SOCCER—practice sessions and games will be on DAA fields.
WHY ARE ACADEMY PROGRAMS SO SUCCESSFUL?
- Trainer-to-player ratio is top priority for the Academy. Individual attention to each player boosts development.
- Small-sided games give each player maximum touches on the ball
- One-on-one soccer training gives the player confidence to use these skills in simulated game situations.
- Having fun in a pressure-free environment makes players that love the game for life!
The DAA Academy curriculum has been developed with the same vision as other top professional academy programs. Our specialized training sessions will focus on the technical aspect of the individual player as well as the game. Players will be introduced to specialized skills training that will progress in intensity and be measured through challenges to help each player develop their overall technical ability, while emphasizing themes within game play. The goal for each player will be to gain thousands of touches on the ball as well as hundreds of strikes on goal over the course of the training series.
Why Dribbling Skills? Dribbling is the foundation for all the other fundamental skills of soccer, such as controlling the ball, passing and shooting. It takes years to become a comfortable and confident dribbler. Players learn to combine body control, agility, coordination and balance with the mechanics of dribbling, and the sooner they start the better. Trainers will use a range of age-appropriate training activities and techniques to maximize a player’s touches on the ball, including small-sided games that foster skill development, as well as imaginative, creative play. The Ball Mastery program will help foster confidence, creativity and composure during game play.
- Dribble out of trouble
- Soft first touch on the ball
- Gain confidence on the ball
- Passing/Receiving/Holding the ball
- Better understanding of proper ball striking
- 1v1, 2v2 attacking/possession
- Game positioning/shape
THE ACADEMY PROGRAM PROVIDES
- Ball Mastery sessions that emphasizes the importance of individual techniques
- Team Training sessions led by a professional trainer
- Small-sided games
- More touches on the ball, more passes attempted, more 1v1s attempted
- A good introduction to ‘Select’ competitive soccer for players transitioning from recreational to select soccer
WHAT AGE DIVISIONS MAY PARTICIPATE IN ACADEMY SOCCER?
Academy Soccer at DAA is currently open to all boys and girls born between 2006 and 2010
CAN MY CHILD PLAY RECREATIONAL OR TRAVEL SOCCER AND ACADEMY SOCCER AT THE SAME TIME?
Yes! As a matter of fact, Academy is designed to supplement the recreational or travel soccer experience, not replace it